6 Jan 2013

How to: Garlic and Onion treatment


''Garlic is not just good for our body, but also for our hair. Garlic extract can get rid of and destroy dangerous toxins and stimulate blood circulation, essential in the scalp for proper hair care and growth and avoid hair loss.

Onion (Allium cepa) recognised with healing qualities incorporate their antibacterial, cleansing, stimulating, and nourishing powers. Onions contain a number of important minerals and vitamins, such as vitamins C and B6, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and germanium. Onion also has a high sulfur content. Sulphur is a mineral present in every cell in our body, with its greatest concentration in hair, skin and nails. It has typically been referred to as the “beauty mineral” and the “healing mineral” simply because of its ability to promote circulation and reduce inflammation. These qualities also lend to the theory that adequate amounts of sulphur can jump-begin hair growth in individuals with deficiencies. High amounts of sulphur in onions make them particularly powerful in regenerating hair follicles and stimulating hair regrowth. In addition, naturally-concentrated sulphur compounds have been confirmed to show additional hair-restoring.
-----------------------

One of my main hair goals included growth of my edges, my temple and nape. I researched on methods to tackle hair loss and I stumbled upon these natural treatments - onion and garlic. I tried something. For just 3 days I rubbed on a mixture of grated onions and garlic with olive oil and I had began to notice growth! I stayed away from castor oil because I wanted to see how much it would grow without the great castor oil. Well, the result was amazing! Garlic and onion treatments are not common, having searched through youtube hair tutorials however I found some videos and the girls all said they experienced hair thickness! Now, my main goal for this hair is to achieve thickness so I had found a way to incorporate this treatment into my regimen. Who knew onions and garlic could be so beneficial to hair! So, I tried out what this girl did (today, and I shall let you know how it goes throughout the year):

[Someone asked on the comments of this video if it truly worked and she replied that she had to stop one time because her hair began to get too thick (as if that's a problem!).. I think I went mad for a bit! I HAD to try this and I shall continue to.]

I shall be doing this treatment every two weeks (added to my hair track duties list). Exactly what she did. So thanks to her! 
How you do it: just slice up half an onion + 2 garlic cloves and boil them with a cup of water  (tiny spray bottle size) till the onions become see-through and garlic turns white. Let water cool down a bit, take out the vegetables with your spoon (warmth is good) and pour into a spray bottle. Spray  it generously through your hair, letting it soak into scalp and hair. Put on a shower cap and leave it for 1 hour. Make sure you cover your shoulders with an old towel and clip it on tight to the neck as the onion water may drip down. The smell did not affect me, if any. Wash hair and condition as usual.

Benefits experienced:
- increased thickness
- reduced shedding
- shiny and stronger hair

DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF ONIONS!


7 comments:

  1. Please write in script and NOT cursive.....it's very hard to read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologise for the inconvenience. I have now changed the font. Hope this is better :)

      Delete
  2. Great post, though.....great information

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice, can you do provide a follow up after 6 months doing this regimen? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually stopped doing this treatment after I began experimenting with my regimen and adjusting it to my schedule. However, I actually thought of resuming this routine a few days ago. I'll start off by applying the treatment to my edges bi-weekly and see how it goes! :) My hair is in twists atm so I cant do the heated treatment.

      Delete
  4. Which is more powerful ? Onion or garlic ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure but the power of two combined is surely great. I actually tried it again this week. New post coming up.

      Delete

What do you think?