27 Oct 2013

Edges Care

My edges have been very thin and I think it's time for me to start paying special attention to it. I was initially put off from doing another protective twists/braids again because of the damage they would do to my edges. It would take a month for my edges to renew themselves again and I told myself, I would never do single twists again. My edges!!!

But, I decided to search online for ways to protect the edges, especially when doing protective styles. Your edges are the most vulnerable tresses.

Through the web of information, one routine managed to catch my eye which was: moisturise your edges!

Seriously, do we actually do this? When we read 'moisturise your hair' we forget the most vulnerable and driest tresses which are our edges. So, I've prioritised spraying my edges with water daily and moisturising them. I used to only oil them (castor oil+peppermint oil) but never would I think to moisturise them. Since I've began doing this, I've noticed the growth in my edges, they are actually starting to restore themselves! This will definitely continue because I want my edges to grow full-out.

Anyways here are some tips to keep your edges healthy (for those who don't have full edges like Beyonce, but thinning edges):
  • Spray and moisturise your edges daily! This makes it pliable and less prone to breakage. Remember, your edges are still part of your hair. Use a tiny spray bottle (£.99p) filled with water, leave-in conditioner and an oil.
  • Moisturise with castor oil and peppermint oil. Castor oil helps to thicken the hair and peppermint oil helps to stimulate the blood flow. Perfect combo.
  • In single twists/braids: make sure that the parts are cut a bit bigger at the front (no to tiny twists/braids), braid loosely at the front (not to loose since you want that tight face) to release the tension - this will ensure that the hair can move in all directions, extremely tight braids can damage the follicle and lead to hair loss, also, when packing up your hair loosen up the braids at the front to reduce the pull and avoid the risk of traction alopecia.
  • Some people's scalp line are more sensitive than others. Determine how sensitive yours is.
I've noticed for me, that when I use a satin bonnet with a tight elastic band that my edges tend to thin out (Now I know this is true). Therefore, I only use a satin scarf and make sure that I wrap it lightly around my head. My edges are so fragile that, in my theory, maybe the tightness around the head area slows down the blood flow to your head. Figure how much your edges can take. Even some headbands can be too tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?