13 Sept 2014

DIY FLAXSEED GEL & Benefits of Flaxseed Gel

I have been eyeing this recipe for a while now so I decided to head to Holland and Barret and was lucky to find this crazy deal (two packs for £2.75). In addition, I am not so keen on the ingredients in the very popular eco-styler gel.

Benefits
via LiveStrong.com
Flaxseed oil, derived from the seeds of the flax plant, is rich in essential fatty acids, which can be beneficial to your health in a number of ways. In addition to helping with skin disease, cholesterol and digestive problems, flaxseed oil may also assist with hair growth and the replenishment of brittle hair or dry scalp. While evidence supports the use of flaxseed oil to promote healthy hair, there is no solid proof of its effectiveness.
Why Flaxseed Oil Helps Hair
One of the reasons flaxseed oil can promote hair health is because it is rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids. Omega-3 essential fatty acids are known to support scalp health, while a deficiency can result in dry scalp and dull hair, says Jim White, R.D., a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, according to “Men’s Health.”
Flax seeds also contain lignans, disease-fighting compounds that may help fight hair loss. But because lignans are found in the shell, whole seeds are a better source than oil
via Urbanbushbabes 
  • Leaves hair soft, shiny, and moisturized
  • Promotes hair growth
  • You can reuse the flax seeds
  • Cost effective (more for your money)
  • Nourishing for the hair rich in omega 3
  • Gives great curl definition
  • Gives hold with no crunch/non flaking/not drying to the hair/doesn’t cause breakage/or shedding
  • Fast drying
  • Mixes well with oils/conditioners/ many products
  • All natural

My experience

Simply put: I have never had curl definition like I have had with flaxseed gel. Added to my staple? Yes, why not. It gives my tresses that extra moisture boost as I twist up my hair and makes detangling much easier.

What you'll need
- Strainer or stocking sock
- Wood spoon
- Air tight container ( you can use an old product container and place stocking sock over the top part to strain it)
- 3 cups of water
- 1/4 of flax seed (linseed) depending on how thick you want it
- 3 drops of lavender oil (preservative and scent)

My Video for more tips

2 comments:

  1. Rose your hair's breaking, I'm not sure what you've been doing in your routine but it has caused you a huge amount of breakage. Having thick fuzzy roots and thin ends isn't a sign of new growth or shedding its a sign of excess breakage caused by dehydration. I went through it and my hair looked like yours for months but I just assumed that's what my hair looked like until I went to a hairdresser that deals with a lot of natural hair and she told me that my hair was basically falling out because of no moisture. 4c hair needs daily moisturising and the only product that can truly moisturise your hair is water but if you don't seal in that moisture with a thick oil or butter then the water will do the exact opposite and dry out your hair. I've been watching you since January and your hair looked so healthy and full then but now it's like even though you have naturally fine hair it now looks a lot thinner and weaker than normal. pulling your hair into a bun is great for protecting your ends but doing it every day for a week dries out the sides and back of your hair as well as encourages the hair line to recede further and further back which leads to traction alopecia. A loose flat twist along the hair line that you moisturise daily and redo weekly will help you thicken up your hair line, that's what worked for me, castor oil is a hype and is horrible for people with protein sensitive hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern. But every hair is different. I moisturise my hair every 2-3 days with water and shea butter. My edges are naturally thin and temperamental. I also bun up the top half first so release the tension, so it isn't too tight. And I have a leave out at the front. Also, my hair has gotten super soft over the months, and I'm retaining length. My new growth is just thicker and softer and I am not having issues with dryness. xx

      Delete

What do you think?